After watching the videos you have to construct such a fractal using a strip of paper. You have to fold the strip very careful from left to right, several times. Do at least 4 iterations and see what happens.
Thursday, October 23, 2014
Have you ever read Michael Crichton's book, Jurassic Park? On such book it appears a very weird shape called dragon curve. And of course, it is a fractal. Today we'll discover more things about it.
Thursday, October 16, 2014
|Taken from https://smist08.wordpress.com/tag/koch-snowflake/|
- Draw a Koch snowflake in a triangular grid. Do at least 3 iterations.
- Why is the Koch snowflake considered a fractal?
- Why the Koch snowflake is said to have an infinite perimeter? Explain it with your own words and equations.
- What happens if you perform an infinite number of iterations?
- How do you know that the area enclosed by the Koch Snowflake is finite?
- What is the Australian coastline paradox?
- Why the Australian and the English coastlines are said to be fractals?
- What do the Australian coastline and Koch Snowflake have in common?
Wednesday, October 8, 2014
Doodling in math: Infinity elephants
ActivitiesAfter watching the video, try to solve the following qüestions:
- What is an infinite series? Can you give an exemple?
- What does it mean that an infinite sum approaches to 1? Explain it with your own words
- Which relationship exist between fractals and infinite series?
- What is an Apollonian gasket? How is it generated?
- Try to drawn a fractal that yields into an infinite series. You can take the ones that appear in the video as an exemple.
Friday, October 3, 2014
|Taken from http://paulbourke.net/fractals/gasket/|
- Gather in groups of 4 or 5 people
- Within your group you should draw a scheme of a giant Sierpinski's triangle using the 26 small triangles we built in class:
- Take the measurements of one small triangle
- Make a sketch of the big composition with all the measurements
- How many small triangles will you use?
- How long is the side and the height of the big triangle?
- Will the big triangle fit in a wall of our school corredor?